The institution’s main campus is located in Kahawa, about 18km north east of Nairobi’s central business district.
It is a multi campus institution with outlets in Embu, Kericho, Nakuru, Mombasa, Kitui, Nyeri, Ruiru, Parklands, Nairobi city centre, Arusha in Tanzania and Kigali in Rwanda.
In September 2014, Kenyatta University revamped its institute of open learning to include e-learning in an effort to improve the quality of its distance learning programs.
The institute’s name was also changed to KU Digital School of Virtual and Open Learning to reflect the digitisation of its operations.
With a motto ‘Education Anywhere, Anytime, At Your Own Schedule and Pace’ the school’s online programmes target adult learners who are unable to attend classes in any of the university’s campuses either as full time or part time students due to professional and family related commitments.
The KU Digital School has adopted a well tested Quality Assurance Tool for e-Learning aimed at addressing issues of quality in online learning as well as a more practical approach to pedagogy, thus improving the delivery of the university’s educational services to students.
Distance study at Kenyatta University has been very successful, having offered various online courses to students and enabling them to graduate with various academic credentials at diploma, under graduate and post graduate levels.
All programmes in the digital school run on a trimester cycle ensuring students enrolled for undergraduate programmes complete their studies in three calendar years.
Application documents for online study at Kenyatta University are provided to prospective learners online or offline depending on individual learner’s preference.
KU Digital School offers the following programmes:
- Bachelor of Arts (Sociology, Geography, Kiswahili, Religion, History- Any three)
- B.Ed. (Home Economics)
- B.Ed. (Arts)
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLIS)
- B.Sc. (Records Management and Information Technology)
- B.Sc. (Physics, Zoology, Botany, Chemistry, Mathematics- Any three)
- Bachelor of Economics (B.Econ)
- B.Sc. (Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics)
- B.Sc. (Agribusiness Management and Trade)
- Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT)
- B.Ed. (Special Education)
- B.Ed. (Early Childhood Care and Education)
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.COM)
- B.Ed. (Science)
- B.Sc. (Tourism Management)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Science in Agronomy (Crop Production)
- Master of Science (Records Management and Archives Administration)
- Master of Science in Plant Breeding
- Master of Science in Land and Water Management
- M.Ed. (Guidance and Counselling)
- Master of Science in Agronomy (Crop Protection)
- M.Ed. (Early Childhood Education)
- M.Sc. (Hospitality and Tourism Management)
- Master of Library and Information Sciences
- M.Sc. (International Tourism Management)