Kenyatta University, located 23 kilometres from Nairobi, is the second largest public university in Kenya (after the University of Nairobi).
The university has over the years offered various online courses to students who are unable to attend lectures through its Institute of Open Learning.
Distance learning in Kenyatta University has been very successful, having enabled many students to graduate with various academic credentials.
In a bid to improve the quality of its distance learning programs, Kenyatta University re-branded the institute of Open Learning to include e-Learning.
The re-branding of the Institute saw its name changing to the Institute Of Open, Distance and e-Learning (ODeL). Under the OdeL, Kenyatta University has taken a more practical approach to pedagogy, thus improving the delivery of the university’s educational services to students.
Kenyatta University has adopted a well tested Quality Assurance Tool for e-Learning aimed at addressing issues of quality in e-Learning.
Application documents for distance learning in Kenyatta University are provided to prospective learners online or offline depending on individual learner’s preference.
In April 2011, Kenyatta University made e-Learning compulsory for the Students Enrolled in Distance Learning Programmes.
Some of the new development in the newly established Odel include learners studying online through an interactive e-platform and their access to the KU digital library.
OdeL offers the following programmes:
- Bachelor of Arts (Sociology, Geography, Kiswahili, Religion, History- Any three)
- B.Ed. (Home Economics)
- B.Ed. (Arts)
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLIS)
- B.Sc. (Records Management and Information Technology)
- B.Sc. (Physics, Zoology, Botany, Chemistry, Mathematics- Any three)
- Bachelor of Economics (B.Econ)
- B.Sc. (Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics)
- B.Sc. (Agribusiness Management and Trade)
- Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT)
- B.Ed. (Special Education)
- B.Ed. (Early Childhood Care and Education)
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.COM)
- B.Ed. (Science)
- B.Sc. (Tourism Management)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Science in Agronomy (Crop Production)
- Master of Science (Records Management and Archives Administration)
- Master of Science in Plant Breeding
- Master of Science in Land and Water Management
- M.Ed. (Guidance and Counselling)
- Master of Science in Agronomy (Crop Protection)
- M.Ed. (Early Childhood Education)
- M.Sc. (Hospitality and Tourism Management)
- Master of Library and Information Sciences
- M.Sc. (International Tourism Management)
University Contact Information:
Address: Institute of Open, Distance and e-Learning
P.O. BOX 43844-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone: +254 – 20 – 8712459