Distance learning schools in Kenya are playing a vital role in developing higher education in a country where institutions of higher learning cannot accommodate the large number of students.
The availability of respectable universities in Kenya offering distance learning programs has enabled thousands of students to obtain degrees and diplomas from accredited universities without having to go through the expense of relocating from their homes for their higher education.
The efficiency accruing from distance learning is one of the main advantages gained by local universities that have adopted the use of ICT. Using various platforms, learners are able to follow lectures online, interact with lecturers, start online discussions, submit assignments and check on their academic progress online.
On the other hand, lecturers in distance learning universities are able to upload course materials, post assignments online and generate discussions online using platforms such as blogs and online forums.
There are at least seven respectable universities in Kenya offering distance learning programs, including Kenyatta University, University of Nairobi, Moi University, Egerton University, JKUAT, and Inoorero University.
According to higher education experts, distance learning in Kenya is proving to be a more effective and efficient learning method as students enrolled in e learning programs perform better than on-campus students.
Some of the most popular courses offered by distance learning universities in Kenya include:
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Diploma in Disaster Management
- Diploma in Public Relations
- Diploma in Guidance and Counselling
- Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education
- Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Care and Education
- Bachelor of Education in Special Education
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Economics
- Master of Business Administration (MBA
- Master of Arts in Gender and Development Studies
- Master of Education in Education Technology
- Master of Education in Guidance and Counselling
- Master of Education in Early Childhood Education