Distance learning is playing a vital role in developing higher education in Kenya, a country where institutions of higher learning cannot accommodate all the qualified students.
The availability of respectable universities in Kenya offering distance education has enabled thousands of students to obtain degrees from accredited institutions without having to go through the expense of relocating from their homes.
The efficiency accruing from distance learning is one of the main advantages gained by local universities that have adopted the use of ICT.
Using various platforms, learners are able to interact with lecturers, start online discussions, submit assignments and check on their academic progress online.
On the other hand, lecturers are able to upload course materials, post assignments online and generate discussions online using platforms such as blogs and online forums.
Some of the most popular distance learning programs offered by Kenyan universities include:
- Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Care and Education
- Bachelor of Education in Special Education
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Economics
- Master of Business Administration (MBA
- Master of Arts in Gender and Development Studies
- Master of Education in Education Technology
- Master of Education in Guidance and Counseling
- Master of Education in Early Childhood Education